Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Media's Responsibility to Report Accurately

Neither of these issues, medical research or green claims were issues I felt the media needed to report on at all. 

In the case of the medical research, those that need to know about the product have complete access to that information on the internet if people need to know it.  If there are multiple people dying or maimed from a product that medical research missed, that needs to be reported on by media.  I think of all these prescription medications that are advertised on TV that just a few years ago, you never saw on TV.  Is the media trying to perpetrate a whole country of drug addiction or hypochondriac(ism?)?  I think it's a case of "buyer beware" and the media needs to stay out of the business of prescribing medications over their media.

In the case of green claims going unchecked, I again feel like this is a matter of "buyer beware".  I don't think this is newsworthy.  Everyone knows it's not the job of the government to take care of "every little thing" that happens to our lives.  Those who want to know if a product is truly green need to research this themselves...otherwise we are going to be taxed to death to cover the costs of all of this coverage.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you Sandra. I think the media picks up quite a bit of information that's not newsworthy to fill time or space or create distractions or emotions.

    And while I agree with you on the "green" issue and that the ultimate responsibility falls on consumers, I do think if we take the time to make laws and set standards, we have to develop a system of enforcement. I certainly wouldn't register my car or drive anywhere near the speed limits if there weren't any consequences.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that the media does not need to report on everything, and certainly should not be pushing prescriptions. But there is another issue here, and that is the issue of science and disseminating knowledge to the public. One of the huge issues with scientific research is that it does not make it into the public realm. If the general public is to understand and benefit from scientific research, someone needs to publicize and interpret that research. I think it's important for the media to report on research findings. But I also think they need to look to the source of their information and get it right.

    ReplyDelete