Monday, July 13, 2009

Food for Thought

I was appauled when I saw, both in class and today's readings, that the media uses food designers to dress up foods for advertisement. I felt it was extremely deceiving of the ad executives to allow their use of these tactics. Undercooking meats and then painting them in order to keep them "plump and juicy" looking without wilting lettuce or making the bun soggy was over the top for me. Pinning condiments in place and artistically adding mustard and katsup...what next?

The article on advertising ideology was disturbing. I feel like these ad execs fall into the same catagory as a car salesman. Their willingness to stoop as low as they have just to get someone to purchase their item is incredible. We must be the most gullible, stupid people there are. I'd be interested in knowing whether or not the people who actually do the food art and the planting of basic ideologies in the ads fall for someone else's ads like the rest of us do. It would certainly serve them right.

No comments:

Post a Comment